There’s nothing quite like treating yourself to a delicious drink, especially if you take the creative energy and time to make it yourself. For a Cinco De Mayo party or any other special occasion, a homemade margarita is the perfect treat to offer your friends.
From a health perspective, tequila is actually one of your best bets! It’s low in calories, doesn’t spike your blood sugar, and is naturally gluten free.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo With These 3 Delicious, Healthy Margarita Recipes!
1) The NorCal Margarita from Robb Wolf
The biochemist and author of The Paleo Diet made this deconstructed version of the margarita famous. As a cocktail, it’s simple, slim, and succulent. In a tumbler or margarita glass, simply mix together:
- 2 shots of silver agave tequila
- the juice of one lime
- crushed ice
- a splash of club soda.
- line the rim with salt and garnish with a lime segment.
2) The Skinny Margarita from Cookie + Katie
Enjoy the sweetness without all the sugar-induced heartburn! This recipe from blogger Kate Taylor requires:
- kosher salt
- 2 ounces of silver tequila
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of light agave nectar
- 1 lime wedge for garnish.
To ensure quality and taste (and to help minimize the risk of hangovers), Kate recommends using 100% agave tequila, either silver or blanco.
3) The Strawberry-Peach Frozen Margarita from Shape Magazine
Just in time for summer, this low-calorie version comes packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals (we know, we know: that’s not why you’re drinking it, though!). Get your blender out and mix the following together:
- 10 medium (frozen) strawberries
- 1 ripe, peeled, and chopped peach
- 2 ounces of tequila
- 1/2 cup of crushed ice
- 6 ounces of sparkling water.
Shape actually has a bunch of other awesome low-cal margarita options to choose from here.
Join us at Healthworks for our very own Cinco de Mayo Party on Friday, May 5th! What kind of Cinco de Mayo party would it be without drinks and snacks? You know we have the hook ups. Let’s party! Let us know your favorite margarita recipe when we see you in the club!