It’s time for a spooktacular Fitness Challenge this October. Actually, it’s not scary at all. Healthworks just wants to introduce you to the Goblet Squat and challenge you to track your progress throughout the month. The Goblet Squat is a basic movement that can help exercisers of all levels build strength and stability. If you master this fitness trick, you’ll have one more treat in your “go-to exercise bag” of yours by the time Halloween rolls around.
Goblet squats work your quadriceps, hamstrings, hips, booty and more. It is essentially a full squat with the added bonus of a “goblet” of weight held in front of you. You’ll need to grab a dumbbell or a kettlebell, minimum five pounds, to complete the challenge. Record the number of goblet squats you complete each time you do a set and build that number throughout the month. As you get stronger, you can increase the difficulty by adding repetitions and lifting more weight.
You May Also Like: 3 Yoga Moves to Get You Up and Feeling Human in the Morning!
How to Perform a Goblet Squat:
1) Start with your feet shoulder-width apart. Your toes should point forward.
2) Grab the ball part of your dumbbell, the “head,” and hold the weight in front of your chest. You can also use a kettlebell. If that’s the case, hold it by the “horns,” the top bends of the handle.
3) Bend your knees while keeping your weight pressed through your heels.
4) Hold your arms steady, so the weight is stable in front of your chest as you lower your hips below your knees. Your hamstrings (the back of your thighs) should touch your calves just barely.
5) Look forward, so your head and chest stay lifted throughout the movement.
6) Pause briefly at the bottom of the movement.
7) Then, rise back up to standing with control and do it again! See how many consecutive times you can repeat the movement in good form. If it is easy, grab a heavier weight or kettlebell.
8) Record your number.
You’ll hear no “boos” from the Healthworks team this Halloween if you do your goblet squats. But, we do hope you feel the spirit of our enthusiastic support. May your goblet overflow!