It’s rare that you get to lean against a wall and hang out indefinitely to fulfill a fitness challenge. But, that’s exactly what you get to do this January to fulfill this month’s Healthworks’ Challenge. Simple stuff, right? Wall sits are pretty simple to do!
But, just wait…
You’ll discover that this strength move is not so easy to hold! Each time you do a Wall Sit this month, participate in the challenge and record how long you are able to hold it.
You May Also Like: Use Theses 4 Basic Yoga Poses to Build Better Balance
Do the Wall Sit Challenge!
To do a Wall Sit:
– Grab a stopwatch and find a wall to back-up against.
– Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointing forward.
– Place your arms next to your sides.
– Keep your head, shoulders, back and tailbone against the wall as you walk your feet forward a bit.
– Depending on how long your legs are, your heels should be about a 1 ½ feet or more away from the wall.
– Slowly bend your knees until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Your knees should be over your ankles, not your toes. Knees are at a 90-degree angle.
– Here’s the hard part. Start your timer and – hold it!
Think about how cute your dog was as a puppy. Imagine how good a soak in the hot tub will feel later. Sing the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody. “Beelzebub has a devil put aside for” wall sits, wall Sits, Wall Sittttsssss!!!! Go over your grocery list over and over again so you’re sure you won’t forget to pick up the Greek yogurt you’ve been wanting to try. Do whatever it is you need to do to distract yourself from the uncomfortable feeling that is sure to come. And, then hold that hanging squat some more! Magnifico-o-o-o….Mama Mia.
– Stop the timer.
– Record your time.
It’s a way to sit and get fit! What’s not to love about that? Join the Healthworks’ January Challenge and use Wall Sits to build mental stamina and strengthen your quads, hamstrings and inner and outer thighs so you can bust into February like a beast!